Hey all my loyal readers (Ross):
I’ve gone from my older Drupal CMS to WordPress. There are a number of reasons why I’ve done this, but suffice it to say that I have a new website!
The reasons for changing:
- Learn how to properly leave 301 redirects
- Drupal is very powerful, but requires more work to customize
- Out of the box drupal is not very good as a blog
- It takes a lot of work to customize it into a blog. One picture per article and a gallery interface cobbled together from many articles was pretty annoying.
- I have migrated my forum elsewhere, so now I need only a blog. WordPress is a blog.
Regardless, it will be very exciting. Migrating was interesting but very annoying. Drupal’s database schema is designed to be very flexible (code word for hellaciously complex) so joining the data into a simple WordPress table was…very difficult.
So after doing this, it still didn’t migrate the images because drupal uses related images but WordPress uses inline media with HTML tags. So now to do that manually.
Thankfully WordPress has lots of bulk editing features. It has really continued to mature. Regardless, enjoy the new (hopefully nicer) site and continue reading the crap I post!